Thinking of moving to Goldington? Here is some information on the Area.
The boundaries of Goldington are approximately Norse Road and Cemetery to the north and east, Goldington Road to the south, with Church Lane and Haylands Way to the west. The northern part of the area is sometimes known as Elms Farm.
In August 1645 Major Walter Baskerville a Royalist cavalry Officer was killed in a skirmish in Goldington. Goldington Hall (a small mansion) was built in the 1650s. The Hall was rebuilt in 1874.
In 1934 the southern part of the parish of Goldington was merged with the expanding Bedford town, with the northern rural parts becoming part of Ravensden or Renhold. The area was greatly expanded to the north in the 1960s and 70s, seeing the return of some of the original parish lost in 1934. This expansion included the development of the Elms Farm estate and the Church Lane shopping parade. The Poppyfields estate was developed in the area in the 1990s.
In the 21st century The Spires and the Saxon Grange housing estates have been constructed on the northern boundary of Goldington. These newer estates are not officially part of the Goldington ward, but are in the neighbouring civil parish of Renhold.
After many years as a pub, the old Goldington Hall became semi-derelict and was the scene of a small fire in 2008. It is now a private residence.
Goldington is an unparished area, with all community services under the direct control of Bedford Borough Council. Goldington elects two councillors to Bedford Borough Council, both of which are currently Liberal Democrats.
There are two shopping parades in Goldington at which most shops and services are located –
The first is on Church Lane which includes a Co-op supermarket and post office, a tool and plant hire company, and a Chinese takeaway. Coplan Estates were appointed to re-develop the shopping area in 2006, and an old pub called The Century was demolished in 2008. However the recession has delayed further progress. Phase one of the regeneration saw an Aldi supermarket being constructed at the site. This opened in summer 2010. The scheme will ultimately also include additional new shops, a medical centre, a relocated community building, and a selection of new homes.
Goldington’s second shopping hub is on Queens Drive, which has a small convenience store, a post office, a chemist, a hairdresser, a butcher’s shop, a laundrette, The Queens Tavern pub, a fish & chip shop, petrol station and GP Surgery.
To the eastern side of Goldington is the Elms & Viking Industrial estate. This large business park (between Goldington Road and Norse Road) houses many firms, includingEnterprise Holdings, E.ON UK, GE Healthcare and the East of England Ambulance Service. Bedford’s cemetery and crematorium on Norse Road is just within the boundaries of Goldington.
There are two state schools in Goldington – The Hills Lower School located on Stancliffe Road, Goldington Green Lower School situated on Goldington Road, There are nomiddle or upper schools in the area, though Goldington Academy is located on the edge of Goldington. The area’s 13 year olds fall into the different catchment areas for Mark Rutherford School, Biddenham Upper School and Bedford Academy.
- St Mary’s Church (Church of England), a grade II* listed building, located on Church Lane
- Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church, located on Goldington Road
Goldington Community Centre is located on Church Lane. Goldington Green is the area’s largest open space, and is situated on Church Lane and Goldington Road.Goldington Bury cricket ground is situated next to Goldington Green. Goldington Bury is the home ground of Bedford Cricket Club.