Thinking of moving to Bromham? Here is some information on the Village
It has a number of notable features including a flour watermill (Bromham Mill, now open to the public), a church, St Owen’s, and a medieval bridge over the River Great Ouse that, until 1986, carried the main A428 road over the river on 26 arches. Fortunately for the bridge, and the rest of the village, it was bypassed.
The watermill is referred to in the Domesday Book of 1086 and the Vikings navigated the Great Ouse a long time ago. The mill was extensively restored in 1980 by Warwickshire Millwrights’ Gormley and Goodman to the extent that it was able to grind wheat for flour again for the first time that year since it ceased work in 1939. Alterations to the weir below the Mill’s leat shortly afterwards caused a reduction to the height of the head-race, resulting in poorer performance from the mill’s impulse water-wheel.
The Church of St Owen is located in the village.
The Parish is for the greater part enclosed in a bend in the Ouse, and it touches the parishes of Oakley, Biddenham, Kempston,Stagsden, Stevington and at its western point, Turvey. It is to the west of Bedford.